« Home | Sundalo » | A Mother's Dilemma » | Balik-bayan? » | Are You Ready? » | What Will Make Meeya Not Return to the Philippines » | In the News - 'Diliman Republic' » | Holding Out for a Hero » | Two Decades On » | Party Poopers » | just re-posting an article culled from the philipp... » 

Friday, October 26, 2007 

Dare I Hope?

by kpj



(first published in Mang Oca's Razor, 10 Oct 2007)

The optimist in me cringed at some predictions I heard some time ago. Apparently, there is no bright future looming for the Philippines. No significant economic improvement in sight. Especially so, because there doesn’t seem to be a political figure with the potential to be a Mahathir or a Lee Kuan Yew, in sight. However, the recent senatorial elections showed a very promising trend. The voting public is becoming more discerning. So discerning, it actually eschewed all of GMA’s known allies and went for the ‘opposite direction’, well save for a fluke, that is so totally obvious. So maybe, in future elections, we could expect more of the same. Kaya?

Okay, I am not going to mince words and pretend I’m this political crackerjack, I just want to think there’s still hope. I know there’s still hope. I’ve been watching him for a year now and I think Senator Francis Escudero has what it takes to be the leader our country needs to go forward. I also know for sure, that I am not alone in thinking this. (That’s why he’s no. 2 in the recent senate polls). I just hope he doesn’t lose sight of his ideals, or his principles derailed. He shows such promise. But lately though, he seems awfully quiet. Hmmm...maybe because he’s still getting his bearings? We’ll see.

About This Weblog

    Previously, a blog about how life has treated us after our last duel on the piste. Now, unmasked, we reveal ourselves as political scientists first, fencers second.

    Our country is the Philippines - where the University that brought us together stands. Though we'd rather pretend that eveything is fine, it is not.

    We've laid down our swords and sharpened our words. Now we raise our mightier pens and say: en garde.

    For Pinas. Our guts, your glory.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates