« Home | Thank you for coming! » | Luntian at Pula » | UP Get-together » | Thinking Aloud » | Critical juncture » | I BLOG, THEREFORE I AM. » | Nerds Caught on Pic » | Dirty Thirties - A Woman's Angst-Filled Prattle » | Fencing Club Logbook » | M is for Meeya » 

Monday, October 17, 2005 

I Can Be Political

by MrsPartyGirl



Dial's recent post, among others, prompted this overhaul. It's hard to turn a deaf ear to what's been happening in our country right now. I for one, have chosen to distance myself (both emotionally and physically) from my country. Thinking to put the well-being of my family first, I did the most "unpatriotic" thing and hied off with my husband to the land of the free, home of the brave. I may have deprived my country of my talents, my SSS contributions, or my nationalism, but these didn't bother me one bit when I chose to follow the path most often travelled by any Filipino who had a choice.

They say two things can either happen to you once you leave Pinas: one, you will forget your roots and grow new ones, forgetting (or forsaking) your country altogether. Or you will appreicate Her more. I am #2.

In realizing why I had to leave my country with my family in tow, I learned how much I want to see the ugly face of its politics change. I feel helpless for my family back home - trying to get through the chaos one day at a time. I live in awe of my friends, who, despite the political scenario choose to stay or survive in spite of.

I'm sure you all have a thing or two to say. As for me, I know the chances are slim that my puny voice will be heard amidst all the blabbering traditional politicians around. But I will heck write what I want.

I am a wife, a mother, and a friend. But I can also be political. After all, America is not the only place where people are free and brave. Too bad, where I come from, there are also a spattering of thick-skinned trapos who are free, brave, and extremely stupid.

About This Weblog

    Previously, a blog about how life has treated us after our last duel on the piste. Now, unmasked, we reveal ourselves as political scientists first, fencers second.

    Our country is the Philippines - where the University that brought us together stands. Though we'd rather pretend that eveything is fine, it is not.

    We've laid down our swords and sharpened our words. Now we raise our mightier pens and say: en garde.

    For Pinas. Our guts, your glory.
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates